Thursday, June 14, 2007

week one, things 1 & 2

From the instructions: "Week 1: Introduction ( official start of week June 4th)1. Read this blog & find out about the program.2. Discover a few pointers from lifelong learners and learn how to nurture your own learning process. As you watch and listen, write down which habit among the 7 & 1/2 that is easiest for you and which is hardest. You will use your personal blog (which you will set up next) to post your thoughts about lifelong learning. "

1.
I am excited about this training opportunity. It seems like it will be a nice way to get familiar with technological forums and mechanisms. This knowledge is important; particularly to us in the field of information literacy.

2.
Easiest habit for me: Create your own learning toolbox:

When I identify an information need I do tend to seek resources to fill it. I’m curious about things and want to learn. It’s been a lifelong habit, and it works well for me, especially as I become a more efficient and effective resource finder. The process of improving and honing my skills will, of course, be a lifelong endeavor.

I’m not always as organized as I’d like to be about it, but I do keep in mind useful resources, identify tools that will help me with a given task at hand, and access and utilize them to learn what I want to learn. This can run the gamet from a practical how-to question to a philosophical or artistic one, to finding a delicious read--to understanding those I care about. My ability and drive to do this has helped me throughout my academic career, as well as in my personal life. I believe that it is (in part) my ability to create my own learning toolbox that makes the field of librarianship, where I get to work in a giant learning toolbox, and help others use the tools and create learning toolboxes a good match for me.

Hardest habit for me: View problems as challenges:

Typically, I can view problems as challenges. If I don’t find information in the first places I look, I’ll widen and vary the scope of resources I look to, or try a different method to try and solve the problem at hand. However, when the stakes surrounding the information need are very high and if the first couple of likely sources don’t seem to lead to the necessary information, I sometimes find it difficult to view problems as challenges in the positive sense. I think that this is natural, but I’d like to be able to put my best foot forward consistently order to continue to work on a problem, even a difficult or frustrating one, because I think I can be most effective that way.

I think that this optimistic way of looking at problems ties into the attitudinal habit: have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner. I think that if you have that confidence, the process of solving a problem is endowed with the peaceful notion that you are doing what you can.

No comments: